Jesingar has been raised from the dead.
In this red hell there are a group called the Petitioners – they’re flying, military like creatures that seem to be moving about herding insubstantial looking creatures.
We head towards a set of foothills and start to climb towards a range of mountains. In the distance a single structure, a number of times large than the entire city of Ptolus, looms to the east beyond the heat haze. Above the fort-like structure something in the region of a quarter of a million creatures fly.
We find the hag’s cave and waiting outside, calling in to anyone living inside. Eventually a witch-like creature appears, coughing as she leaves her smoky cavern. Distrusting at the start she examines us through a lens before declaring that we are “primes” and “the clueless ones”. This seems to pacify her and we’re allowed in to the cavern.
Moving through the initial entrance we find a little cottage in a woodland setting. She introduces herself as “Hexlar of the Outlands”. Hexlar is also trapped on the world but seemingly too scared to venture out.
Bell is the ruler of Avernus.
This is the plane where sages go if they short-changed their customers during life.
The Pillar is back down towards the lowlands, NE from here and near the river.
We spend the night and then travel to the pillar of skulls. We ask the pillar for the key to Sigil. 4 of the skulls pipe up:
1. Kill the ogre and I’ll tell you (Elf)
2. Bring me a fiend and I’ll tell you
3. Tell me the spell-key to the plane … 2 of the heads pipe up. (Gnome). Sir Varis knows the Spell-key (attunes you to the plane) but there’s a price to pay for the knowledge …
3.a : 50,000 gold in the form of a naked elven statue …
3.b : A potion of flying poured in to our mouth.
4. Put the brightest in there (Sir Varis?)
The Ogre pipes up. "One of the other 3 is …
1. Telling the truth
2. Clueless (Elf)
Dog smashes the Ogre in the face. The ogre face withdraws in to the skull to be replaced by a dwarven skull. The Elf informs us that “a flaming wooden torch” is the key to Sigil.
To the NE, beyond the river of blood, there’s a large dias that is the planar gate to Sigil. The price “Red will walk with a limp”.
Travelling back over the river we encounter some blood snakes that leap out of the river and seek to entangle Dog as he air-walks over the river. Beating those down we all eventually reach the other side safely and spot the raised dais.
We return to the hag and she tells us the planar-key – which is a piece of obsidian that’s been blasted by one of the planar fireballs.
We’re attacked by a small group of flying demons. We slay most of them and take one of them as prisoner.
Proving to the skull pillar what the planar spell key is we’re told that we need to obtain “A brick from the great road” but not until we provide the fiend to a lying skull.
We’re being pursued at this point by a large force of flying, short fiends.
“Arkultenz” – A Pit Fiend appears on the portal stone and demands we take a white globe through the portal for him. In exchange we won’t have to fight him. The deal seems like an easy choice though on second thought Red decides that he doesn’t want to be the puppet of yet another powerful figure. A standoff ensues until a fracas kicks off. As we prepare to drop the globe and make our way through the portal Dog gets pushed through by the devil. We all follow suit.
We’re in Sigil.
Charity has already passed through the portal ahead of us and deals with a creature who’s waiting for the ‘bomb’. As the rest of the group passes through the portal we’re momentarily stunned. The ‘bomb’ is removed from Dog’s backpack – having been turned to dust. A pinch of the dust will allow us to move from Ptolus to Hell and then through the portal Sigil.
A creature, Azmaron, divides the dust into two and hands Charity half of it. Azmaron is the dark skinned creature who’s been using portals to follow us.
Red expresses his dissatisfaction at being manipulated by Azmaron.
We move to a Cockatrice themed pub. Red looks at the jobs board and we meet a planar creature called Lydia who agrees to accompany us on a mercenary mission to the outlands we need to track down Renob. Giro decides that she’s curious and wishes to talk with Azmaron about our background. We decide to sleep on it all.
Information of the planes:
1. The planes are what primes would consider the afterlife. There is no change within these planes. If a community, say, within the plane changed alignment/outlook then that part of the plane would break off and merge with an appropriately aligned plane. Numerous planes exist that are absolute law/chaos/neutrality etc.
2. Orcus, somehow, broke mechanus. Other groups were so outraged that other groups decided to act against Orcus. The first group to act were the WInd Lords – they failed. Even forces of Chaos gathered and tried to act against Orcus.
3. The Quarn were created by semi-deitific/powerful mortals with the purpose of forcing cooperation between chaotic forces. A demi-world was even created specifically for the Quarn. This experiment failed as the chaotic elements fell in to internal squabbles. Another experiment was created, ourselves. The experiment was to try to use something greater than rings to bind individuals together – then notion of family or friendship.
4. The dark skinned man was there to support us though greater powers provided us with items we’ve accumulated.
5. The ‘hive’ is the squalor within Ptolus where poor people lived.
6. One a year the modrons (millions) from mechanus leave and march through each plane. At the end of the 1000 yearly event a force of millions is cut down to hundreds before their return.
7. Monty is actually an imp that’s constantly following us, invisibly. Though when Giro casts a “See invisible” spell she can’t spot the imp. [Ed: What a surprise … !!!]
8. Apparently we’re no longer safe given we have one of the 7 pieces of the anti-Orcus super-weapon. And, apparently, we can’t sell the item either without dying,. [Ed: What a surprise … !!!]
9. The dark skinned man works for the Order of Green … a group who experiment with poor people and manipulate them to do their dirty deeds.
10. The Green Man is part of the Order of Green … [Red: “Told you so!!!”]
Charity and Red go to see Renob, a cat like creature who offers a bit of mercenary work in the Outlands. We move to get a budget priced key from one of the runners outside the pub. We obtain the portal key and pass through a stable door and in to the Outlands. Many strange creatures roam the planes of the outlands but all seems peaceful initially. We move to talk to a nearby villager.
After talking to some peasants we move to the foothills to hunt down some orcs. Tar flies off and locates what could be a HQ for some orcish activities. We decide on a frontal attack and play it by ear from there. We kill a small number of guards and free a couple of large ettins.
“Cyril Rex conqueror and Statesman” reads a plaque in the HQ…